Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Typical First Post

Hello and welcome... hmm too formal.. howabout Hi!.. nope too eager.. ok.. Greetings fellow travellers of life and random blogs.

Before I continue I should introduce myself, my name is Chris Norris, I am 31 years old and live in sunny Farnborough UK (for those that don't know where that is, it's just outside the area known as London city on a small island that has a queen and castles and football and some other things). I work as a software engineer for a small company, a job which I enjoy very much, although I don't get to actually code much these days regrettably. I am fairly recently married to a wonderful and beautiful harlot! manifestation of revenge sent to punish me! girl called Tristine, we have now been married one year (since May 2004).

Now you have a rough idea of who I am, I will go on to explain my intentions for this small piece of cyberspace. I created this blog for a number of reasons, firstly I wanted to document my progress and experiences as a student pilot which I very soon aim to become, both for my own personal reference, my friends (I have some.. honest!) and also any other pilots/would be pilots who my be interested in my account of training.

Flying for me has been a dream since my early formative years, it began with the aquisition of a book called "Wing Leader" by Johnny Johnson, which told the story of his time spent during World War Two. It is an exciting account of flying the Spitfire and his rise from training to Wing Leader and eventually Group Captain. This book inspired me to want to learn how to fly, that inspiration has stayed with me, although perhaps I have been a little slow to act on it. At the age of around 15 I joined the ATC or Air Training Core and whilst not actually learning to fly I learnt a little about aircraft, navigation, map readings etc. Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to take many flights, (only two as I recall).

Now I find myself at the age of 31, a strange age to be at really.. I have been lucky in my life to have achieved most of the things I have set out to do up to this point, mostly through a combination of good fortune and bloody mindedness, but learning to fly is one itch long overdue for some serious scratch time. So I am going to raid the piggy bank to foot the bill for this pursuit, with my wifes full support and embark on flying lessons.

Luckily for me, I live close to several airports, Farnborough and Blackbushe are the closest and Blackbushe has two training schools. I therefore inquired to Blackbushe Cabair and promptly was able to book my first introductory lesson for June 5th! I am like a child waiting for Christmas!

It is also worth mentioning, that I invested in MS FlightSim 2004 to help on this course, if nothing more than to help learn the instruments and behaviour of the aircraft during flight. As a flight simulator it feels very real, how real I have yet to find out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home