Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Wow! Introductory lesson number 1.

Well I have flown! yes actually flown myself with the aid of an aircraft (aircraft I understand help the flying bit enormously).

Ok rewind time a little to yesterday, 26th May..

It is morning and I am sitting at my desk trying to focus my mind on my job, "must write these methods..", "concentrate.. stop staring blankly at the screen" are instructions I shout at myself. Unfortunately it appears I wasn't listening, because my mind was elsewhere, in fact at about three thousand feet banking to the left. After a time I thought, hmm the weather outside is pretty ok, a bit overcast but warm and the occassional appearance of the sun, I wonder if there would be any flying today at Blackbushe.. I could go along during my lunch break and watch some take offs and landings, so I phone Cabair to ask if anything is going on today and told the man my intentions and that I had a lesson coming up. He said sure, although if I wanted to fly today myself I could. STOP.. today!.. did I hear him right? hmm could I? Oh yes! So I replied in a fairly cool and calm way "Yes that would be good" and he offered me a flight with an instructor in a two seater Diamond DA20 Katana at 4pm.

At 4PM I was inside the flight school offices eagerly awaiting my instructors arrival back from his previous lesson. At this point a few concerns entered my mind, "what if I don't enjoy this?", "what have I let myself in for?" and "am I going to die today?". I guess these thoughts are only natural, as up until this point in my life I have only flown commercially on airliners since I was about 15 at air cadets (and that limited experience has faded into the mists of time). At the same time as thinking these doubts, I was more desperate than ever to do this and couldn't wait to get into the air.

After a short wait I was introduced to my new instructor to be, Antonio he is a young Spaniard who looks every bit the pilot, he is softly spoken with a mild accent and instantly I felt that this was a guy I trusted.

We didn't hang around, we went out to meet the aircraft, I had already a good idea of the aircraft and the functions of the controls, from my reading, air cadets and flight sim experiences. Therefore, satisfied that I knew what the flaps, elevators and rudder were we entered the aircraft. For those that might not know, the Diamond DA-20 Katana is sleek looking with an excellent reputation as a training aircraft, it is very small and the cockpit seats the pilot and the co-pilot litterally shoulder to shoulder at a slightly reclined angle. The visibility is superb, being surrounded by a clear dome of plexiglass.

Antonio soon did the appropriate checks and we taxied to the runway after gaining permission from the control tower. This was it!

Take off was smooth and with Antonio at the controls it felt easy, very shortly afterwards he handed me the controls and requested I maintain our climb, explaining all the while how to hold the craft level. This felt truly amazing, the controls felt response and very sensitive, the slightest pressure was needed to keep the plane level. We soon levelled off, sitting at 2000 feet below the puffy white clouds at cruising speed, I had to resist the urge to shout "bandits at 9 O'Clock!". The first things I noticed about flying in a small light aircraft was you feel it a whole lot more than sitting comfortable in a 737, the undulations of the aircraft, the wind and the feeling of actually being one with the sky. The visibility is superb, all around you can see for miles, with the sun breaking through the clouds and striking the Earth in patches.. simply awesome. I knew in that instant I had made the right choice, this felt so good.

Antonio asked me to try a few banks to the left and the right, this is where my recent practice with flight sim came in usefull, it felt very much the same, in fact easier in reality than in the simulation. We flew for the next 40 minutes or so, practicing climbing, descending, banking along with demonstrating how the plane reacts to flaps and rudder. We also practiced straight and level flight, something I find particularly hard in flight sim is maintaining an altitude, in reality it was easier because of the view around the plane, it gives a much better perspective allowing you to line up and hold easily.

After what felt like five minutes (which was in fact the previously mentioned 40 minutes) we made our way into the circuit for Blackbushe and came in to land. At this point Antonio took the controls during the approach leg and brought the aircraft to a perfect soft landing. I had a go at taxing briefly, but discovered that was much harder than I expected and therefore left it to learn another day.

Once down I realised, wow.. I flew virtually the whole time, Antonio helped with the throttle and the prop rpm but I controlled it. It felt great!

After promptly booking my next lessons towards my Private Pilots License, we logged 1 hour duel flight in my newly aquired temporary log book.

I am still riding cloud nine as I write this, I can't wait until the 3rd June for my next lesson!

6 Comments:

  • At Friday, May 27, 2005 2:36:00 pm, Blogger Kris Johnson said…

    Congratulations on your first lesson. I had mine about six months ago, and was amazed at how much the instructor let me do. I felt like I was flying the plane the entire time, even during the landing, although I know he was helping quite a bit.

    Taxiing was hard for me at first too. It took a few weeks before I stopped trying to use the yoke while on the ground. It also took a while to stop using the wrong pedal: to turn right, I'd step on the left pedal, and vice versa.

    I'm jealous that you get to fly a DA20. The Warriors I fly aren't too bad, but I think a plane with a joystick would be more fun.

    Good luck with your training.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:21:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Many thanks Kris :-)

    Initially I was slightly disappointed that I wouldn't be flying a Cessna 152 as in Flightsim I have practiced hard on that aircraft, however once I flew the Katana my dissappointment vanished. I of course have nothing to compare it with, however it was very easy to fly and to keep straight and level, it also seemed remarkably stable for such a light looking airframe.

    Incidentally I invested in a FS2004 Diamond Katana add-on, and it feels fairly accurate, although again easier in real life to control than in the sim.

     
  • At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:21:00 pm, Blogger Kris Johnson said…

    Don't over-practice on the sim. The differences can have bad effects on your real-life flying, particularly landing.

    I used the sim to get used to using the rudder pedals. Once I got that worked out, I haven't used it much.

     
  • At Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:55:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    I hope that the flightsim can help provide more routine type training, such as before landing checks etc as opposed to actual flight. It is certainly helpfull in training the eye as to the position of the instruments. However I do agree, hopefully the flight mechanics in the sim will not adversely effect my real world flying, but I will be carefull not to assume that the real aircraft will behave like the simulated one.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:22:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found flight sim to be a great help in learning instrument flight scanning routines. Its all very well and good reading about what to do but putting it all into practise is something else entirely. I was extra lucky because I am training exclusively in Cessna 172s and the 172R my school uses has exactly the same instrument layout as the C172 in Flight Sim 2002.

    All the best in your training.

     
  • At Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:58:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Hi Sue, congratulations on your first lesson it's pretty amazing eh. :-)

    The addiction gets worse for sure. I think by the time you solo for first time you will be irrevocably hooked.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home