Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Cancelled

I arrived shortly before my lesson was to start today but it did not look to good, the wind accross the runway was persistant and strong, Antonio soon got back from a previous lesson and decided to cancel it. It was just too strong and gusting around 20knts and landing is challenging in these conditions even for an experienced pilot. Instead, I had a briefing on engine failure on or shortly after take-off which was interesting because we ended up discussing how best to actually crash. As in if you know your going to crash into say trees, fences, small mountains and so forth, you can still orchestrate your own crash. We discussed how best to actually impact, i.e: tip the wing into the ground or obstacle which would reduce some of the inertia. Antonio preferred the idea of crashing head long, and personally I favoured the 'rip the wing off first' approach.

Nothing quite like spending an hour discussing your own potential demise! Of course, if I die in a flaming fireball plunging to the earth on my first solo I will be very very angry. The black humour is possibly not to healthy however I am a subscriber to the lifes a laugh and deaths a joke principal.

The reason for all this was I am due to practice engine-out's for my next lesson as well as continuing circuits. My circuit work from now on will be focussed on the actually landing as up until now I have been focussing more on the circuit procedures and approach.

Next lesson is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so hopefully this wind will lessen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home