Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Lesson 8, Circuits

Unfortunately I was not able to get in flight in between Tuesday and today as all slots were already taken and the weather yesterday was heavy rain and cloud. I went to sleep last night hoping the weather would improve by the morning as forecast and luckily the forecasters were correct, this morning the skies were looking fairly good and no rain.

Once I arrived at Blackbushe the cloud base was scattered at 1500AGL although was expected to rise to 2000AGL within an hour. This ruled out more Stalls practice, although Antonio expressed his satisfaction with my Stalls and felt it would be more productive to move on and concentrate on pattern work. I have been looking forward to learning the circuit in a real aircraft rather than a simulated one in FlightSim 2004, in FS2004 I have spent quite a bit of time practicing the circuit so I was hoping that would have prepared me quite well for starting circuits for my PPL.

After a briefing covering all the checks that need to be made at various points around the circuit we go out to take-off. During taxi, I suddenly notice that I had stopped even thinking about taxing, I was just doing it. Funny that something that was so difficult only a couple of weeks ago is now feeling second nature. My take-off was again improved on my previous lesson this time sticking directly to the centre line of the runway, to be honest, taking off used to make me feel a little nervous, now I find I am gaining confidence and all the nerves are gone.

Once airborne, I climb at 70knts and passing 300ft I start checks, brakes have pressure and parking brake is off, flaps are up, reduce prop speed to green sector, T’s & P’s all look good. I pass 500ft and carry out 15 degree bank to crosswind still climbing at 70knts levelling off at 800ft, the height of the circuit at Blackbushe. I turn to downwind and shortly begin downwind checks, brakes are off, landing gear is down (no undercarriage on katana), mixture is full rich (auto-mixture on katana), fuel pump is on, altimeter is set correctly and altitude is 800ft, I make radio call “GOLF LIMA SIERRA on downwind for touch and go” and receive request to report final, Carb heat check, T’s and P’s. Phew.. a lot to do! I then turn to base reducing throttle and attitude back to 70knts and set one stage of flap to descend gradually. Turning to final I set full flap, 60knts and crab to the runway (because of crosswind). Landing is good so around we go again.

Apologies to anyone reading all that in such fine detail, it helps me to recount the events to fix it in my mind. My first circuit went very well, I forgot to carry out the carb check on downwind and was reminded by Antonio and I was having problems this time around maintaining 70knts on climb, this was largely due to my mind being focussed on checks rather than actually flying the aircraft. We did several more ‘touch and go’s and the last one Antonio told me to do it without any comment from him, it went well although my final approach was bad, I was much to high.

The time went typically fast and it wasn’t long before we landed permanently. I felt elated because it went better than both I and Antonio expected, sure it wasn’t perfect but for first attempt I can not be to self critical. Antonio was very pleased and he said it was exceptionally good for first circuit lesson. I want to get back up there as I write this to continue the circuits. Apparently a few more of these with some practice aborted landings and practice forced landings and then I will be ready to solo, I am certainly in no hurry though!

I think I have four lessons scheduled next week so I hopefully will get increasingly comfortable with circuits.

Incidentally I had a couple of ‘OMG’ moments while flying today, the sudden realisation and awareness that I was flying an aircraft with a degree of confidence. It’s a good feeling. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At Friday, July 01, 2005 4:29:00 pm, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    The first real "OMG!" moment for me came the first time I had a solo flight booked and my instructor was nowhere to be seen at the airport.

    It was just so amazingly cool knowing that I had the keys for an airplane in my pocket, and that I was about to go fly completely on my own. I had finally earned the privledge, and it truly a milestone moment for me after my solo.

    That was the first time I 'Truly' felt like a real pilot, and was one of the flights I remember best.

    Congratulations on your progress, but I think you'll find you'll have more then a few additional flights before your instructor prepares you for your solo. Signifigant practice at forced approaches is usually a priority, as it's one of the most likely things to happen in the circuit.

    I beleive spin training is required where you are, and is likely toto be one of the "Mandatory" lessons that have to be completed before solo. Emergency procedures, runway changes in the circuit, overshoot procedures and practice, loss of radio procedures, and a few others were things I remember having to complete before my solo.

    Your milage may vary. :-)

    If your PTR's (Pilot Training Logbook) is similar to ours here in Canada, if you look near the front cover you will see a checklist of all of the "mandatory" lessons and exercises that must be completed before the first solo is authorized.

    Towards the end of my checklist being filled, it was a little frustrating, as I had more then a few of the last endorsements delayed due to weather limitations.

    It will come soon though for you, with your frequent flights!

     
  • At Friday, July 01, 2005 5:55:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Yeah, when I read your's and other accounts of the first solo it makes me feel excited and nervous at the same time. I am definately far from ready at the moment and the thought of flying alone is tantamount to throwing myself off a bridge, at least at this stage in my flying career. Still, I am looking forward to being able to be totally confident with my ability to solo.

    Spin training I am actually not sure of, we have discussed spins as part of the Stalls lessons but it does appear to differ from US and Canada. My CFI says that a spin in US terms is what we call a developed stall and what we call a spin is highly dangerous in most modern aircraft unless it is an aerobatic aircraft. In our stall lessons we practiced developing the stall into what amounted to a stalled spiral dive with a high attitude and 45 degree bank angle. In all honesty I am not sure what our spin is if it is not that! I should ask more questions about this.

     
  • At Friday, July 01, 2005 8:08:00 pm, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Spin training is no longer required in the USA. It is still part of the mandatory training in Canada.

    Honestly, after having done it, I would never consider flying without the training. I'm sure you read my accounts of it.

    Not sure if the aircraft you are flying is rated for spins or not. I know the 152, as long as it is loaded within the "Utility" weight and balance limits, is certified for spins, which is why we used it.

    Certainly, if your aircraft is not rated for spins, you don't want to use it for practicing them. :-)

    But if I'm not mistaken, Spin training is still part of the syllabus in the UK where you are, so I would guess that you will be touching on it. If you need to fly a different aircraft to accomplish it, you may be getting some experience in one sooner then you had expected. :)

    And yes, I do remember someone else saying that the "term" used for spins overseas is something different.. "Fully developed stalls" I think? I beleive it's the same thing.

    It's not "highly dangerous" really unless one does not have suffcient altitude, if the instructor does not have sufficient skill to recover from it if the student can't...and of course, the aircraft must be rated spins..

    There is actually a really great brief article and even a video of a spin at this link:

    http://www.bruceair.com/spins.htm

     
  • At Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:52:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Ah yes, your right :-) I checked my flying log book which also shows the JAR sylabus number listed in the comments to show what has been carried out on each flight, against the sylabus itself. Spin training is lessons 11a and 11b and I have yet to do those.

    The katana is spin rated according to a website review so hopefully will get this lesson very soon.

    Thanks for the video link, that does show different behaviour to a fully developed stall.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home