Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Solo Skill Test Practice 1

After a long working week I was looking forward to get back in the air, I called Blackbushe this morning and asked if they had an aircraft free for a couple of hours. They did so I planned a short flight around the local area. The route is one I have flown before therefore I familiar with the local landmarks, but I plan thoroughly anyway.

Foxtrot Victor hadn't been flown today, so I carried out full checks and set off on the route. The cloud today was at around 4000ft and left plenty of room to practice general handling, once over an area clear of built-up areas I did a gentle turn to check for other aircraft, all clear so started a few 60degree turns. My first turn was poor.. I lost 200 feet.. hmm I cast my mind back to my lessons on these, my next attempts are much better, I maintain altitude ok. I spend about ten minutes turning both left and right at 60degree turns and satisfied these are ok I practice an engine failure which is ok.

Flying around today I feel a little guilty.. I am supposed to be preparing for the skill test but to be honest I am just having a load of fun! I didn't take my time as seriously as I intended, but what a way to leave all the troubles of work behind me. Freedom is a word much misused in everyday life, but up here it really MEANS freedom.

I reluctantly returned to Blackbushe and logged 1.1 hours solo.. which now completes the requirement of 10 hours solo for the JAR PPL.

Tomorrow I intend to practice circuits if the weather is good but it doesn't look to hopefull as a weather front is moving in bringing strong winds and storms.

2 Comments:

  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:45:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Uh oh Chris, the spambots have gotten to you now too. Time to turn comment verification on. :-)

    That aside, I'm kind of debating doing a "fun" flight of my own.

    I've been thinking about it for a while now, and even considered asking my instructor for his opinion on just blowing off any lesson plan and just flying for the sheer enjoyment of it for once.

    But every time I contemplate it, I feel guilty for the thought of spending time and money on a flight which probably won't end up being that productive.

    Post training, sure. Pre licenced, I'm sure I'll feel guilty afterawards.

    Perhaps as a goof I'll do it anyways, and log it as "Practiced straight and level flight with gentle turns". One can't let themselves get rusty on the basics, right? :-)

     
  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:39:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Guess it was just a matter of time.. they are deleted and I will turn on the verification feature now.

    Lol, can never have too much straight and level flight practice! :-)

    I think occasionally it is beneficial to just enjoy the flight without feeling the pressures of accomplishment, or perhaps I am seeking to self-justify it! Either way it sure feels good to just fly for the fun of flying. I strongly recommend it! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home