Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Instrument rating thoughts

It has been my intention through-out the PPL course and since to get an instrument rating, mainly to use as a get out of jail card in the case of getting into IMC. Also the benefit of being able to fly VFR-on-top appeals when the cloudbase is low. I am almost at the requisite number of hours I need in order to take an instrument course, the only problem is which one..

I have three options, first option is the CAA IMC rating, this is known affectionately as the mini-ifr and consists of 15 hours of training and one ground exam. This would grant me the priviledges to fly IFR flights but only in UK airspace. The second option is the full CAA IFR, this course would entitle me to fly anywhere in the world IFR however is a staggering commitment to make with 55 hours of instruction and seven ground exams covering ten subjects. The study material is absolutely vast and would take around a year of study to be in a position to take the exams. The final option is the US FAA IR which is somewhere in between. The FAA IR is accepted everywhere to my knowledge as long as your flying in a US registered aircraft, which I of course am not.

Therefore I think the IMC rating, whilst limited is probably the only option for me right now, at least until the CAA bring in a world wide recognised IR for private pilots rather than us having to either study to ATPL standards or look to the US FAA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home