Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lesson 12, Engine Failure Practice

The weather this morning was a complete contrast to yesterday, beautiful clear skies and light wind of around 6-8 knts. The purpose of todays lesson was to practice some more circuits and landings and also to try some engine out procedures.

I arrived on time and Antonio was already at the aircraft carrying out the pre-flight A checks. Today I decided to bring along a video camera to record the forward view from just behind the cockpit in the luggage area, I rigged this up so it was holding firm. Antonio asked if I was planning on making a documentary, so I replied "yes, I am doing a documentary on rogue flight instructors", after that he accused me of being a secret member of the CAA.

I completed the pre-flight checks and we were soon in the air. The first circuit was good, nice approach and the landing was my best yet, couldn't even feel it touch the runway! Antonio was impressed and made it clear he now expects me to do that everytime! After climb-out from the touch-and-go he pulled the throttle to idle at around 500 feet and I carried out a little hesitant engine failure procedure, my mistakes were obvious such as raising the nose immediately to slow to 70 knts (best glide speed) rather than allowing the aircraft to slowly achieve 70 knts. I told myself I will do this better next time.

We did some more circuits and touch-and-goes however none of the landings were as good as my first. One more engine failure practice which was much improved. On one of the circuits I turned final and noticed a Cessna still sitting at the runway threshold, I was distracted by this I was half expecting a go around and therefore did not concentrate on my approach. This led to me being far to high on the approach. I quickly lost height by cutting the throttle to idle and by this time the Cessna was taking off, following a steep descent I made a landing but bounced slightly this time. Antonio told me quite rightly that I must concentrate on my approach and not allow events to distract me, also pointing out that a go-around can be decided at a much later stage. On the next circuit I began my flare before touching done and Antonio called "Go around", and I was able to quickly get the aircraft into the right configuration and successfully go around. Lesson learnt.

I have found that carrying out the circuit now has become so much easier, I am always mentally well ahead of the aircraft now and the circuit therefore seems like a much slower process than before. Antonio mentioned I am ready to solo now, which makes me excited and nervous at the same time. On the one hand I know I can do it, I just have yet to prepare my mind for taking that responsibility. He suggested I take the exam on Air Law, Operational Procedures & Communications during the coming week as that is required before I can solo.

After the lesson today I checked my video camera and discovered it had recorded all of about 3 seconds footage! damn. I must have hit the record button twice and therefore end up pausing it. Oh well, will try again to capture some video next lesson.

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, July 10, 2005 12:34:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woohoo! Another first solo just around the corner! I've been reading your blog Chris and I want to tell you that I am getting more of a handle on how different the Katana is to the Cessna I fly. We have a large aviation school next door to my humble Aero Club who train pilots for EasyJet and they use Katana's as ab initio flight trainers. As a result I see them flitting around the sky quite often and have often wondered what they would be like to fly.

    Hope to read about your first solo real soon. :)

     
  • At Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:17:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    Hi Euan and thanks for the comment :-). The Katana is IMHO a very fun aircraft to fly, of course I have yet to compare it to any other aircraft. I have asked other CFI's about how it compares with the Cessna 152, and they mention that it is a little lighter and therefore you 'feel' the aircraft a little more and tends to get blown around a bit more than 152. It is however very stable and easy to fly with excellent visibility. The cockpit is supposed to be slightly kinder to taller pilots with fully adjustable rudders which allow for long legs. One comment I received alot was that if you learn one small aircraft you have pretty much learnt them all, so once I pass I will put that to the test by trying a C152, C172 and the pipers (after the convertion process).

    What stage are you at? pre-solo also I guess? :-)

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 2:37:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Don't do what I did with the video camera, and take it up on one of my solo flights during which I was exclusively practicing short field landings.

    I don't know if you have done any yet, but short field landings are not gracefull picture-perfect things to behold, as the goal is not to look nice and touch down gently, but to get the plane down and stopped as quickly as possible.

    I ended up having a video full of what looked like horrible landings, when in reality they were pretty much what I was aiming for. :)

    Well, OK, a few were plain horrible outside of the short-field landing thing, but you get the point. (grin)

     
  • At Monday, July 11, 2005 4:42:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris,

    To answer your question I currently have 52.3 hours in my logbook and am about to start the cross country phase of my training. I solo'ed on November 20, 2004 at 14.0 hours. Since then, every first solo post/blog I read reminds me of mine so I just love reading about them! :)

    And Mark, I stand by what I said in my email, the precision approach was great except for that left yaw just before the round out, and I think the camera exaggerated it a bit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home