Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Lesson 17, High Wind Landings

Today I woke up expecting to solo (given Antonio's permission), the sky was clear of cloud, sun shining and a light westerley wind. However as the day wore on I checked the TAF's and each one predicted strong winds and rain, sure enough time it got to my lesson there was a 20knt wind from the West but no rain as yet.

Whilst waiting around I went outside and watched others coming in to land, several landings were aborted and saw one aircraft balloon three times and bounce 3 times before landing. All aircraft landing looked to be having a few problems of some sort with the strong wind.

Antonio returned from his previous lesson and I was glad to hear the words that I can't solo today because of the strong gusty winds as I definately would have decided not to fly solo in conditions like these. He mentioned that it is very bumpy up there and hard to land. He said I can fly duel but I might not like it once in the air, he left it up to me to decide. I decided to fly anyway as it will be good practice to carry out some landings in weather like this.

During the pre-flight the plane was getting blown around quite a bit and Antonio explained how the conditions will be on the aircraft in flight, this was good as it is far better to know what to expect. We gained a reluctant sounding clearance and were soon into the air. Immediately I saw what he meant, climbing was made difficult by the constant fluctuation in airspeed I also was off track as I climbed out. I turned crosswind and the aircraft is getting thrown around a whole lot, I struggled up to circuit height just in time to turn downwind. I decided I would carry out a flapless approach and began my base descent and final, the whole time the aircraft is bucking around but hey at least it's exciting! During final I was struggling with the airspeed as it was fluctuating from 50 knts to 100knts rapidly as the aircraft bumped around and I struggled to keep the wings level, I ended up much to high as a result so initiated a go-around. The tower advised me a helicopter was below taking off from the helicopter runway (yes they have runways?!?) following the runway I looked out of my left window down at the chopper grass runway and saw a chopper swinging around madly from side to side, it looked out of control for a moment then regained straight and level flight, phew... it looked very close to becoming a nasty incident. (It was a training flight and the instructor took over).

I went around for another go, this time I decided that my ASI was not much good to me when it is swinging around so I concentrated solely on the position of the nose in the horizon and the feel of the aircraft and kept a good look out. Another flapless approach and this time better, the aircraft was still bucking around, dropping 50ft or so before lifting 50ft and trying to roll one way or the other with the wind. This time my landing was good although I needed alot more power right up to the threshold to keep her where I wanted her.

I did several more of these circuits during which the rain started, flying in the rain was a new experience but not a bad one, Antonio was a little surprised I could handle these conditions which increased my confidence. All in all I made 5 soft good landings in difficult conditions and therefore was very pleased with the lesson, I am glad I decided to fly because now I know how to handle those situations in the future as the weather is not always going to play nice. We noted 220/20 + 5 Landings in my logbook and turned our attention to the solo.

My next lesson is on Friday, Antonio has asked me to prepare to solo on Friday because I am more than ready. Friday will be a short lesson, I will firstly do a couple of circuits with Antonio then a circuit with the chief flying instructor to clear me to solo and then the solo itself. I just hope the wind backs off!

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 3:31:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Bummer you didn't get your solo, but better safe then sorry.

    I would guess it's going to feel like a very long week for you, though?

    When I knew my own solo was coming, the anticipation killed me in the last few days, so much that I scheduled a rare weekday evening flight for me the day that it actually happened.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:39:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Yeah was a bit dissappointing as by the time of the lesson yesterday I was psyched up to do it. I did realise as the day wore on and the wind picked up that it was very unlikely to happen though, so at least it was a gentle let down. The anticipation is the worst thing and yeah I completely understand how you felt building up to your solo. I just now hope the week passes quickly and the weather is fine, I think my nerves will be shot if I have to put it off again.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 11:45:00 pm, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    I had a few prospective flights were my solo "could" have happened, but I never really knew for sure. Phil (my instructor) never out-and-out told me "Get ready for your solo, it's tommorow", he just alluded to the fact that it was coming.

    At my school I'm led to beleive this is how they are told to work up to it, as I gather they may have had a few "Hey, you told me I was going to solo today... I didn't, WTF is up?" stories in the past. :-)

    It got to the point where it was clearly obvious that we were there, and the evening I booked especially for it ended up being the big day..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home