Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Lesson 13, Flapless Landings + Engine Out Sim

I had another early morning lesson before work today, mainly to take advantage of the excellent weather. The purpose of today’s lesson was to try some different landings and engine out after take off procedures. Unfortunately I could not fly for long this morning due to work meeting therefore we only managed a 45 minute lesson with 5 circuits/landings and a couple of EOATO’s.

This lesson I did one landing with full flap and four landings with no flap, the main difference was the airspeeds, on base we use 80 knt descent and then on final a 70 knt approach. I found flapless landings easier than normal flap landings, purely because the plane is more controllable with a higher airspeed. Each landing was a “greaser” which was good and I am starting to get more of a feel for landing, however I found I was eating up long stretches of the runway unnecessarily, this was happening because I am being too gentle with the throttle and need to cut the throttle earlier.

I made a few other mistakes today, my approach judgement still needs work and twice today I forgot to carry out finals checks, another stupid mistake was my hand kept leaving the throttle when taking-off. I need to be more consistent and just not forget simple things like this. I have to admit my mind was not as focussed this morning as it normally is when I fly, partly because I was aware of the time constraints. Still, no excuses I MUST not allow myself to be non-focussed when flying, it is quite literally a matter of life and death.

On the positive side the engine out simulations went like clockwork. Tomorrow’s lesson I believe will be more of the same and I will try to polish my weak points with the circuit/landing. I plan also to spend this evening revising for the air law exam.

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:33:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chris, were you briefed on increased ground effect in flapless landings? A 172 will simply refuse to land at 70 knots and you'll waft along the runway waiting for the airspeed to wash off sufficiently to settle on the mains. It must be worse in a light low winged plane.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:02:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Not formally briefed no, although we discussed it during the approach and landing itself. The katana does tend to want to continue flying also and I find I use too much runway as a result. To counter the ground effects I have to flare a bit more than with flap then it slows sufficiently to touch down. Personally I prefer the feel of the aircraft in a flapless approach/landing than a full flap landing, I just need to perfect my touch-down technique so I don't use so much runway.

     
  • At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:59:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah its great having more control authority but try a landing on a short grass strip and you'll be thankful you have flaps. :)

     
  • At Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:59:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Short field landing practice was one of my favourites. Approaching at 54 kts (Cessna 152) with full flaps and then landing on the numbers, stopping in the absolute minimum possible distance was a great challenge for me. I still enjoy practicing them.

    By the sound of how the Katana likes to glide, I'm guessing that short field landings will be a challenge.

     
  • At Wednesday, July 13, 2005 5:29:00 pm, Blogger Chris said…

    I asked Antonio this morning about short field landings, he said we are about to move on to those once the solo is done. Apparently yes they are harder in the katana, but time he has finished with me I will be stopping in a very short space! lol, worrying promise..

    I am looking forward to learning those.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home