Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Lesson 20, Solo Circuits

Today wifey a.k.a Tristine decided to come along and watch me fly, I told her about what to expect as I was doing solo circuits today providing the instuctor cleared me to fly. We had to wait around for 40 minutes until a plane was available as todays schedule had slipped back a bit so we grabbed a coffee in the airfield bistro. Tristine was asking lots of questions about the aircraft and flying, it felt good being able to answer them.

Once Foxtrot Victor returned with it's previous student I went out and carried out the transit pre-flight checks, these checks are getting quicker and quicker each time, not through complacency just through not needing to refer to the checklist as often. Mathew , another instructor soon joined me (Antonio was having a well earned day off) and we proceeded with the take off routine.

I carried out a couple of circuits with Mathew, which went well so on the second landing he jumped out. I refueled the Katana and then departed on my own, giving Tristine a wave as I passed her at the apron. I felt relaxed and calm as I carried out all the engine and pre-takeoff checks and before long was in the air. I noticed once again the weight difference, the Katana climbed like a rocket upon take-off.

My circuits were pretty much boring and effortless, strange for me to say that, I mean I enjoyed flying but the circuit procedures have become second nature now. I did not accept any mistakes in my circuit and all the time flew to the best of my ability. I set a goal for myself today, to improve my judgement of the approach with different flap settings as this is an area that needs work. I believe I achieved my goal, my approaches got steadily better with each circuit and the landings were on the most part good, although my last touch-down was a small bounce.

Today I did 0.8 hours solo with 6 circuits and landings with full flap, 1 stage of flap and no flap, I have scheduled in a morning slot on Wednesday to do more of the same.

Tristine was very patient waiting and it was really nice to have her there supporting me, she watched the entire time and managed to take a few pictures. (I will try and post them soon).

Roll on Wednesday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home