Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Solo Skill Test Practice 2

A very short report today. I had the aircraft booked for a couple of hours today but the weather wasn't good with scattered cumulus around at 1900AMSL, alot of rain showers also. This ruled out doing anything too adventurous so I decided to just do some circuits.

Another student returned from some circuits and he looked very tired and hot. He mentioned how choppy the conditions are today and I figured I would go do a couple and see how it is.

I decided to carry out a short/soft field take-off at first, as soon as the wheels left the ground I could feel the aircraft being blown around in the fairly stiff wind. My climb-out I have to say was damn hard work.. airspeed all over the place and it took alot of effort to keep the wings level and in balance. I turned crosswind and had to descend to get back to circuit height, in fighting the choppyness on climb out I had allowed it to climb a little high. Downwind was slightly less choppy although required alot of tracking into the wind, I called to touch-and-go.

Final was again incredibly choppy, at several points the headwind component dropped off causing the katana to sink which meant adding power. The landing itself was ok, although I realised I had made an unforgivable error by not carrying out finals check, doh.. carb heat to cold, prop full rpm.

The next circuit was the same.. very choppy. I decided at that point that I would come in early, the conditions were such that I couldn't really concentrate on different landing/take-off techniques as all my concentration was being used to keep the plane from doing something crazy. I am also not experienced enough yet to become over-confident and that mistake on the first circuit was a reminder that I am still very much a student. I think it was better not to push my luck. I therefore called to land on downwind and once again had a hell of a fight on base and final to control the aircraft.

Once on the ground again I felt drained after just a couple of circuits, it really takes it out of you flying in those conditions. Therefore only 0.4 logged today sadly, but I am glad I chose to come early. Next flight will be next Saturday, probably a duel flight again.

10 Comments:

  • At Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:13:00 pm, Blogger Flyinkiwi said…

    Chris, you mention that your finals check includes a "prop to full rpm". The Katana has a fixed pitch prop, does it not?

     
  • At Monday, September 26, 2005 12:05:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    It has a constant speed prop, at least the models the flying club has. I think some other models of the Katana do have a fixed prop though.

    By the way I have never quiet understood why a prop that has adjustable pitch is known as a "constant speed prop", surely it should be "variable speed prop".

     
  • At Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:31:00 pm, Blogger Flyinkiwi said…

    Aviadisto is right, although probably the most accurate description would be "variable pitch prop". The blue lever controls the amount of propellor rpm (usually although not always) through an oil pressure operated governor which adjusts the pitch angle of the blades to get a set rpm based on the current power setting.
    In a fixed pitch propellor equipped aircraft you can get vastly different levels of performance (in certain flight conditions) in similarly powered planes simply because of differences in the propellors pitch angle.

     
  • At Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:11:00 pm, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Chris, where did you go?

    Just taking a very long break from flying?

     
  • At Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:32:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Hi Mark, yes a forced break unfortunately, I got to fly last weekend for an hour but have had to go away for work in the past couple of weeks. In fact just got back last night.

    It is a little frustrating as I am ready for skill test.. oh well hopefully I will get the test in the next couple of weeks. And also resume posting.

     
  • At Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:37:00 pm, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Ahhh, yes...work - the one thing that ruins an otherwise great day. Heh.

    Just wanted to see that everything was OK though. When one sees a student pilot blog suddenly fall silent for 3 weeks...well, you see where I'm going with this. :-)

     
  • At Friday, November 04, 2005 1:36:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Still not flying, Chris?

     
  • At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 9:12:00 pm, Blogger Flyinkiwi said…

    Earth to Chris, come in Chris....

    Please us know you are ok.

     
  • At Sunday, January 15, 2006 1:51:00 am, Blogger Oshawapilot said…

    Hello, Chris? I saw you popped in briefly on my blog a few weeks ago...but where hath ye gone on your blog?

    Stop flying all together, did you?

     
  • At Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:05:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Hi Mark, no not stopped :-) I have had so very little time that I have yet to update my blog. I will attempt to redress this situation in the very near future though.

    A short account of where I am; I past the skill test back in December although since then the weather has kept me grounded. I am hoping to fly next weekend if these continual weather fronts clear up. Whilst grounded I have been spending alot of time looking at aircraft to buy but no decision made as to what aircraft I should go for yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home