Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

IMC Lesson #4

Today was unusual attitude recovery on partial panel, also climbing, descending, timed turns etc. The weather was amazingly smooth and cloudless, which makes a change! It makes it one hell of a lot easier flying on instruments when you havn't got continual thermals and turbulence to throw all the needles around. The only downside was again the lesson was spent under the hood as no actual clouds to screw around with, over all the recoveries went well although I still need to be more gradual with pitch changes. We also looked at ADF tracking which so far worked out OK, next lesson we will be doing more of that with VOR/DME holds and NDB holds.

Afterwards, I took a back seat ride with another student on IMC lessons, he is further ahead than me and therefore is practicing ILS approaches and missed approaches. Was really cool to watch how it all came together, and I wondered if I would be able to cope with the huge workload of managing the instruments, radio and precise descents on the glideslope. During these practice approaches the student was asked to hold to allow other traffic to come in, therefore I got to see him perform a near perfect oval holding pattern over the Ockham VOR.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:10:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stick at it. The IMC course starts slow with lots of basic up down left right stuff then VOR/NDB tracking which is fiddly and tedious. Then suddenly, you get to do approaches and it all makes sense. The overload is high to begin with but soon gets manageable. Looking back on my IMC checkride I was very stressed and found it very challenging. I've since done a lot more flying, an instrument rating and two renewals and at my last renewal, it felt like 'just another flight'. Very straightforward, easy, relaxed and fun. But the best advice came from an old instructor: "just try to enjoy it and relax."

    Anyhow, I've added this site to my list of blogs on my website http://www.modernpilot.com and I hope you'll take a look and consider adding it to your blogroll.

     
  • At Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:57:00 am, Blogger Chris said…

    Thanks Matthew for the encouragement! Yes at first I found the whole IMC was overloading my brain but towards the end it was becoming more routine. Skill test soon to discover if I managed to actually learn stuff during the course! :-)

    I have added a link to your site, which looks excellent.

     
  • At Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:30:00 pm, Anonymous mangosteen benefits said…

    Keep it up, and you could be a regular Captain Sullenberger!

    mangosteen benefits

     

Post a Comment

<< Home