Newton's laws of motion as applied to me.

General Aviation focused journal, recounting the process of learning to fly and of achieving the private pilots license.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Future plans

At the moment a number of plans are formulating for my future now I have a license. The first one is investing in an aircraft, I have been looking at the options for group ownership and due to some very kind groups have been able to look at several aircraft recently. One in particular was very tempting, a fairly new Piper PA28 Warrior II with full IFR and airways fit, moving map Garmin GPS and a comfortable interior. In flight it was much more stable than I am used to but felt a little ponderous. The visibility also was much less than I am used to, but otherwise I could see the benefit of flying the aircraft as a tourer.

The next option came about in a strange way, I saw a small handwritten advert pinned to a noticeboard, advertising a citabria for sale so I called the number and was told he was selling on behalf of an Irish guy who wanted to buy one of his super cubs. This lead to a conversation on super cubs and he invited me down to take a look in their farm strip hangar.

I found the place and went in to a fairly non-descript hangar to be greeted by the sight of around 16 super cubs in various conditions, some missing wings and some complete. Nearly all had Isreali airforce markings. Basically they were recently bought from the Isreali airforce as a lot and are being fully refurbished. It was immediately apparent that much care was being taken over this process and the quality of the finished articles is simply superb. The selling price of each one is around the $85,000.00 mark (in USD because currently the work is being carried out under the FAA rather than the more costly CAA), with the exchange rate being favorable this gives me an option to invest in a vintage aeroplane which will still cruise at 110knts and land in the smallest places. Flying a taildragger also very much appeals. I have been offered a test flight in one at the earliest opportunity which I intend to follow up.

The next aim of mine certainly for this year is to get the IMC rating, I am considering doing this in the USA as the cost is almost a quarter of the cost here, even throwing in the cost of the flights still is far more attractive.

Flyingwise, I plan to cross the channel this year and do some flying in Europe, particularly the idea of flying down to Italy via the Alps seems like fun.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home